Johnson County Democratic Party Monthly Meeting
June 2, 2020 via Zoom video conference
In Attendance: Greg Haas (C), Lois Petersen (S), Jim Shell (T), Mitch Black, Dudley Case, Kathy Day and Dem. Candidate for WY State Senator, Merav Ben David.
Meeting was called to order at 7:03 pm.
Treasurer’s Report: Our current balance is $2,070.37 – unchanged since May meeting.
Minutes of May 5th meeting were approved as written.
Announcements from Chair:
- Greg will help set up Zoom access for any needing assistance.
- Greg was invited to be on the platform and bylaws committee. He accepted and will meet with the committee on June 4 at 6pm. Let him know if you have anything in particular you want mentioned to that committee. He will also attend the State Convention on June 6.
- Anyone who has not yet received the application for absentee balloting from the WY Sec of State should contact Greg or the County Clerk to see if there is something amiss with their voter registration.
Merav Ben-David (BenDavid2020.com) spoke about her background as a professor at U of WY, and the reasons she is running for office. Her work within the group Citizen Climate Lobby has helped her develop a vision and the skills to work with legislators on political issues. Her 3-step focus as a legislator will be as follows:
- Rescue – help WY citizens deal with job losses, health care costs, ways to survive financially
- Re-imagine – find ways to use innovative technology to benefit WY – e.g. be ready to service self-driving trucks, develop ways to store energy, etc.
- Re-build – borrowing from the FDR public works roadmap, get people back to work on things that will benefit us in the future.
She will send (to Greg at JC Dems P.O. Box) 100 campaign postcards and addresses of voters in WY. Our members are asked, if we so wish, to write reasons why we support her candidacy and mail them out. (Great way to help her campaign and also support the US Post Office.) Let Greg know if you are interested in helping out.
Discussed the county convention results which are also reflected in the minutes from that convention.
Motion to return to face to face meeting on July 7 – Lois moved, Dudley seconded. Passed
Lois spoke about Vote Forward, an effort to send handwritten notes near election time to encourage blue-leaning folks across the country to vote. Lois, Kay M, Joanne T and Mary V are each doing 50 cards so far. Many more sent would be of great help. For more info or to help, contact Lois 684-9160 or go to votefwd.org for more information.
Next meeting: July 7, 2020 at 7 pm – location to be determined
Jim suggested an agenda item for next meeting: Use of the money we have raised to promote candidates or policies.
Adjourned meeting at 8:07