Minutes July 7, 2020
JC Dems Minutes – July 7, 2020 – Bomber Mt. Wyoming Room
In Attendance: Greg Haas (P), Lois Petersen (S), Jim Shell (T), Dudley Case, Sharon Case, Kathy Day, Bill McIntyre, and guests Dem. Candidate for WY State Senator, Nathan Wendt and Jessica Chambers (Wendt Campaign Mgr. and WDP National Committee Woman).
Meeting was called to order at 7:13 pm.
Treasurer’s Report: Our current balance is $2,070.37 – unchanged since June meeting.
Minutes of June 2nd meeting were approved as written.
Announcements from Chair:
- Greg will help set up computer access to meetings for any needing assistance.
- Greg will be an alternate delegate (via online connection) for Bernie Sanders at the Milwaukee DNC meeting.
- Absentee ballots should have been received by mail by any who applied via Sec. of State.
Nathan Wendt (https://www.wendtforwyoming.com/) VP for Jackson Hole Center for Global Affairs, spoke about his background and reasons for running for US Senator. He outlined his Five Big Ideas for Wyoming to Thrive:
- New jobs, diversifying the economy by supporting renewable energy resources and enticing business to use them. He wants to make WY a leader in Carbon Capture.
- Affordable health care with an ‘all of the above’ approach in a bi-partisan effort.
- Increase of min. wage to $15.
- Budget planning and simplifying the tax code.
- Green New Deal in WY – this state should lead in clean energy.
Wants Big Money/Dark Money out of politics through federally funded elections. Wants to get into the legislature, make needed changes and then get out as he is not a career politician. Please contact Nathan or Jessica to set up virtual conversations on the issues.
State Convention Report: Greg, Dudley, and Jim attended. All reported too much time was given to amending the platform. Greg will draft a JC Dems Resolution to submit all suggested platform changes a certain amount of time prior to the convention, and that the final draft simply be voted on at the convention, leaving time to hear candidates.
Motion was made by Jim and seconded by Bill to postpone giving money to candidates until after the primary. Approved unanimously.
100 Postcards and addresses for WY Dems were provided by Merav Ben-David (Dem. candidate for US Senate). We agreed to receive these for distribution to JC Dems interested in supporting the Ben-David campaign, the U.S. Postal Service and helping remind people to vote. Any willing to help in this effort should contact Greg (or the Merav Ben-David campaign) as he may have some extras.
Lois moved, Bill seconded, that JC Dems reach out to recent High School graduates to encourage them to vote. Motion passed unanimously. As a first step, Lois will draft a letter to the leaders of our local Black Lives Matter protest organizers, thanking them for their activism and asking their thoughts on how to best encourage recent High School grads to vote.
We discussed and will decide at the next meeting whether to continue with online meetings or return to face-to- face, considering attendance and cost of both.
Lois reported a conversation with Barry Crago (Republican running for State House) and her support of his candidacy based on his stands on several important issues.
Adjourned at 8:50 pm.