Call to Order:
Greg Haas called the meeting to order at 6:03 pm.
Vikki asked that a Scholarship Committee Report be added to the agenda, and Greg did this.
Kim McCoy, Jim Shell, Vikki Chenette, Lois Petersen, Suzi Black, Dudley Case, Sharon Case, Lorajane Kessler, Mary Van Auken, Greg Haas
Greg mentioned one correction that he would make to the minutes online about the Blue Bison Event. Other than this change, the minutes were approved as written.
Suzi reported that the amounts in the Scholarship account the JC Dems general account.
- There has been a changeover in WDP staff. Ryan Greene is the new Executive Director, Erin O’Doherty is still the Data Director, Rachel Leger is the new Deputy Director, and Greg Haas is the new Organizing Director.
- Artemis Langford is now sending out legislative update newsletters by email to keep Wyoming Democrats apprised of what is going on in Cheyenne.
- JCDems should also be checking Slack for legislative updates. Greg has started a “county-party-leadership” site on Slack.
- Better Wyoming has a training session on how to navigate and find information on the Wyoming Legislature’s website.
- Greg is hosting legislative update meetings on Zoom. The next meeting is tomorrow, February 8 at 3:00 pm. Greg will send out an email with the Zoom link. Also check Slack for meeting Zoom links.
- Adopt-a-Highway – Lois
- The location of this site has been changed from I-90 to Highway 16 West near the Veteran’s Home property and covers a two mile stretch of the highway on both sides of the highway.
- Two pickups per year are required. One is the Spring and one in the Fall.
- A social event after the cleanup will take place, such as a picnic.
- JCDems will continue to explore the possibility of luncheons from the late Spring to early Fall.
- Legislative Actions – Greg
- Greg proposed that a few people from JCDems should follow our State Rep. Barry Crago and our State Senator Dave Kinskey’s day-to-day involvement with current legislation being considered in the Wyoming House and Senate. Basically, to track their committee work, floor work and voting records on various bills of concern to Democrats. Suzi volunteered to help with this.
Announcements from the Floor
- Vikki said we should start an outreach to the Sheridan County Democrats about holding a joint social event with them this year. Lois said she would contact the Sheridan Dems.
- Scholarship Committee Report
- Dudley mentioned that the committee decided that it would like to give two five hundred-dollar scholarships this year. Vikki volunteered to talk to Michelle Dahlberg, a high school counselor, about the scholarships. Lois and Lorajane were going to talk to Greg about some small changes to the Scholarship website.
Vikki then explained that the library director was willing to display Vikki’s sunflower quilt at the upcoming quilt display at the library and the librarians would sell raffle tickets and collect money for the quilt during the quilt display.
The next Scholarship Committee meeting will be on Wednesday, February 15 at 11:00 am at the library in Study Room C.3.
- Sergio Maldonado
- Suzi read the thank you card that JCDems received from Sergio Maldonado for our donation to his campaign. Greg mentioned that Sergio is writing a book about his experiences running for office.
- Abortion Bill
- Lois said the abortion bill will probably pass in the legislature, so it would be a good idea for people to write the Governor about their opposition to the bill.
- Legislative updates meetings will be held on Mondays at 6:00pm and Wednesdays at 3:00 pm on Zoom. Greg will host meetings. See Chair Announcements above.
- Hot Springs Mardi Gras Celebration – February 19,2023
This event will be held from 4 to 6 pm at the Community Federated Church Community Hall in Thermopolis. No alcohol will. be allowed.
- Nellie Tayloe Ross – February 25, 2023
This event is being held in Cheyenne and Lois and Frank will be attending the event.Lois also mentioned that the event coordinators are looking for auction items. So please consider donating auction items. Lois will take any auction items to Cheyenne when she and Frank go.
- JCDems Reorganization & Monthly Meeting – March 7, 2023
The elections will be held at 6:00 pm followed by the monthly meeting. Dudley will handle Credentials Committee duties.
Greg mentioned that Suzi is stepping down as Treasurer and that Dudley is interested in stepping down as Secretary and running for Treasurer. So, the Secretary’s position will be open and so will the State Committeeman position which had previously been held by Bill McIntyre. Greg said he will run again for the Chair position, and Vikki said she would be interested in the Secretary position.
- Reversing Roe
Empower Sheridan will be holding a free screening of Reversing Roe, a 2018 American documentary film, on Saturday, February 25 at 2:00 pm in the Thorne-Rider Campus Center at Sheridan College. There will also be a moderated post-film discussion. This event is open to everyone.
- JCDems Clubs
Greg talked about the possibility of starting a couple of JCDems Club such as a lunch club, book club, candidate search club, etc. with the goals of building community among Democrats, raising money and helping get people elected. Greg will hold a post-meeting discussion about this topic.
Greg adjourned the meeting at 6:59 pm.